This penne pasta dish was also served with cheesy garlic bread. For this I simply melted butter, grated garlic and dried parsley in the microwave. I then drizzled over ciabatta and sprinkled with red wine cheese and popped into the oven at 200C for 5 mins.
- 200g of Penne Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g Passata
- 4 slices of streaky bacon
- 3 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 Onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of basil
- 100g of Cahill’s Red Wine Cheddar
- Peel & half an onion. Smash the whole clove of garlic.
- Dice the bacon into pieces and fry in 2 tbsp of olive oil until crispy.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the remaining pan oil, add tomato puree and cook for about 2 minutes (stir continuously)
- Add passata, onion, garlic and salt to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per packet instructions.
- After 20 minutes , discard the onion and garlic mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of sugar and one tbsp of basil.
- Add 100g of Cahill’s Red Wine cheese.
- Stir well until cheese is melted and combine with marinara sauce.
- Add some pasta water to help thicken.
- Add the cooked bacon pieces to the marinara sauce.
- Drain the cooked pasta and mix with sauce before serving.
- Serve & Enjoy!