Dairy products are very important for growth, building healthy bones and maintaining a healthy weight. Dairy products are extremely high in calcium, vitamin D, vitamin A, magnesium, zinc and protein. All of these nutrients are essential for growth, building muscle, repairing muscle and making our bones stronger.
Key Dairy Nutrients
- Calcium (25%) – Promotes strong healthy bones and teeth
- Riboflavin (35%) – Encourages growth, helps speed up your metabolism and red blood cell production
- Phosphorus (20%) – Helps build stronger bones
- Vitamin D (15%) – Helps absorb the calcium nutrient essential for healthy bones and teeth
- Pantothenic Acid (20%) – Gives us energy from dairy produce
- Potassium (8%) – Helps maintain a healthy and moderate blood pressure
- Vitamin A (15%) – Good eye sight and healthy skin
- Niacin (10%) – Promotes blood circulation to ensure our bodies function properly
As we get older people tend to develop pains, aches and sore bones. Research carried out by scientists have found that the role of dairy intake can have on our bone health is significant. The studied showed the role protein and calcium play in dairy consumption by improving bone health and strength. It is essential we meet our high protein needs and this is made possible by dairy consumption.
Blood Pressure Control
Dairy products are often seen as food that can increase your cholesterol and blood pressure. It is recommended that adults enjoy three servings of low-fat milk, cheese and yogurt daily . This should be enough calcium and protein intake to ensure your body works effectively and maintains a healthy blood pressure.
Dairy products tend to be very high in protein which helps build muscle. Athletes consume a lot of protein on a daily basis for muscle growth and muscle recovery after a difficult training session. After a tough training/gym session athletes muscle fibres have been torn and this needs to be recovered. Protein helps recover the muscle while building muscle also.
Grass-Fed Dairy Products
In Ireland all dairy produce is grass-fed. Ireland has a warm temperate oceanic climate which allows for excellent quality grass growth. Grass-fed products contain many nutrients needed by humans which is why Irish dairy is seen as one of the best in the world. Grass-fed dairy is seen as cleaner and healthier. Cows who graze on lush pastures tend to live a healthier happier life which reflects on their produce.